Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My mom's house - during

On September 21st at 8am lightning struck the well at my mom's house and followed the lines in and a house fire started in the pantry/mechanical room. My stepdad, Butch, was home and was in the back of the house when he saw smoke. He went to the pantry to check on things and saw the fire. He started throwing water on the fire to help put it out. About this time my mom arrived home from her school bus route and went into their bedroom and saw the fire. She got out fire extinguishers and started spraying. Butch went outside and saw the fire in the walls of the house and told my mom to call 911 and get anything she wanted out of the house. She immediately got the parrot and the 6 dogs out of the house. My brother in law, Pat, was at work and a friend of his heard the 911 fire call on a scanner and called Pat to tell him, so Pat quickly went to mom's house. He ran around the house and got out all the pictures off the walls and around, he grabbed Butch's medicine, and mom's jewelry. The "pumper" fire trucks (because they live in the country by a lake with no fire hydrants around) arrived and 11 firemen started putting out the fire. They used A LOT of water and thought they might need to start pumping out of the lake. My sister had called me, she was already at work, she left work and arrived at mom's by 9:30am. I left here and arrived at mom's about 10am. Our stepbrothers drove in from Garden City and were there by afternoon. We are all very thankful nobody was injured and all the animals were out safely.



Master Bedroom


Guest Bath


Outside on West Side of the house


Out in front of the house, this is from the Master Bedroom closet


Master Bathroom

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I am so sorry to see this post. I remember loving the tour I got of your mom's house when I came a while ago. So has so many wonderful things to look at. I'm grateful to hear that no one was hurt and hope that the recovery process is fast!