Monday, October 20, 2008

That's what "BFF's" are for!

This weekend I checked one very important thing off my very long to do list...I finally made the kids' shadow boxes displaying their first lock of hair.

Well, actually I didn't make the boxes, I just gathered all the items and bought the supplies. My good friend Kayre made them and they look fantastic. Kayre and I have known each other since the 3rd grade (that was 25 years ago) and have helped each other through the good and bad times. I got the idea from the shadow box that Kayre's mom made for her displaying her first lock of hair along with her grandma's earring. Kayre is that creative, determined, dedicated, loyal, and goal driven friend who can take some fabric, a few trinkets, and hot glue and make a masterpiece that melts your heart. I know I could have done it, but it wouldn't have looked the same. I'm so thankful Kayre and her family came to visit us this past weekend and that we were able to get a lot accomplished. While I marveled at the shadow boxes, she started and completed her Disney scrapbook from her family vacation this past September.


Campbell's shadow box includes a rosary from her baptism, a bracelet w/ a cross, one of my "C" lockets, a hair bow, and a saint medallion.


Colgin's shadow box includes Chad's old gold bracelet (Colgin has a matching one with him), my Colgin Tanner bracelet, Chad's Colgin Tanner bracelet, the I (heart) CTL bracelet my sister had made when Bailey was born and all the girls have worn, Chad's Colgin golf marker, and a saint medallion.


Cooper's shadow box includes a bracelet she received at her baptism, 2 of her lockets (from grandparents), a medallion that my sister had blessed for me that I wore when I was pregnant wtih Cooper, a hair bow, and a saint medallion.

Of course the girls' hair just blends right into the colors, so it's harder to see than Colgin's. Colgin's hair was so dark, but we didn't get very much of it and the doctors put it on a piece of tape, so we had to put it in there like that, instead of taking it off the tape.

I couldn't wait to hang these up in my room, right above our bed. They fill the space and look great. Everytime I walk in and see them it just makes me feel happy and warm inside. I know the girls' will treasure these for many years to come.

Thanks Kayre! You Rock!

Also, thanks Kathi (aka my other mom) for giving me a great friend who is so creative and helpful. Looking forward to another 25 years to share together.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Those are so beautiful and cool! Good job ladies. I just don't have that creative side to me, but I love seeing others share these ideas and I think, "Hey I should do that..." reality is...I don't get to it!;-(

Tina said...

Chris - I found your blog through Facebook -- I absolutely love the shadow boxes...what a great idea!!

I'm adding your blog to my list of reads!! :)