Thursday, January 15, 2009

Colgin's Quilt

Many of you have asked for more photos of Colgin's Quilt, so here is the best full shot we could take, actually Cooper took the picture while Chad and I held up the quilt. My sister made this for me for Christmas this year. She has been working on it for 2 years now. It is made up of all of Colgin's blankets, towels, bibs, outfits, or special mementos.

Starting at the top left hand corner; yellow outfit he wore in our last photo of him with his blue Old Navy hat on. Middle blue outfit is a gown he wore & I had a matching pj's set for myself & his hat he wore in the hospital. Top right corner blue outfit is what he wore home from the hospital. Middle left are some onesie outfits he wore. Middle block has the cover from his bouncy seat or as we called it, his "happy seat", because he loved to sit and sleep in that seat. We must have gone through 6 packs of batteries on that thing. The middle row right block has some more onesies and an outfit he wore when Great Nanny & Papa came to visit. Bottom left corner is the outfit he wore in his 1 month old pictures. He looked so cute! Bottom middle block has two outfits he wore in July at Grandma Debe's house while Aunt Paula & family visited. Bottom right corner is the "safari" outfit he wore in his 5 day old pictures and family pictures we took with Chad's family. All the outside framing blocks are pieces of other clothing. I love giraffes, as my nickname from my dad since I was little has been "giraffe," and so Colgin's clothing items have lots of giraffe prints on them.

Kelly did a great job, no matter how long it took her. It took me 6 years to actually go through his clothes and decide it was ok to do something with them. Kelly didn't have the heart to cut up everything, so she chose to applique the large items on. I'm not sure who this project was harder on, her or me. It was definitely a labor of love. It's a great way to hold a memory close to your heart and treasure things that most of the time are just stored away in a tub somewhere.

Thanks Kelly! Love you sis!


1 comment:

Kristen said...

I loved the first picture and I love this one too. That is so neat. Thank you for posting again on Colgin's Quilt!